Lessons in the Sky – from a co passenger

In 2003 I was returning from Bangkok to Kolkata and was fortunate to be upgraded to Business Calss. And my co passenger introduced himself as Dr Manas G Roy, President & Chief Executive Officer, Ceramic Components Division, EPCOS. An IIT alumni from Khadagpur this gentleman was based in Germany. 

This was the first time ever in my life and in flight I had ordered for hard drink (because I wanted to bring two small bottles of drink for my husband! But I was ashamed to accept that and to show off as if I take drink in my normal life I had opened a bottle and had poured a capful of the drink in to a glass and filled the glass to the brim with soda. As I was sipping the drink with inner distaste and fear that I may get inebriated/ unconscious and lose my connecting flight from Kolkata to Vizag, he spoke to me ( I sensed he was irritated, do not know why) – directly on the topic, why he a regular drinker does not take drinks in the flight ( what a soothing relief! I no more had to force myself to drink that awful thing and had a way out of that awful situation. I could stop drinking!!)

He spoke on many subjects and gave snippets from his life. It was fascinating, because in each snippet he actually spoke about one of his learning. It was so overwhelming that first thing the next  morning I did was to recollect and note down the essence of learning from his life which he had spoken out. To my surprise it was a long list!

Strange connections! We come to life to learn some lessons and we cross path with many people – successful and not so – I have learnt and not learnt – getting these back again from that old notebook may have some meaning. I will allow the life to flow. I am however putting these down here so that any of you who is reading may have a will to be successful and this will just awake your inner self – who knows? Wishing all the readers best of Luck!

I have tried to sum up the essence of the entire discussion in the following:
1. Be Proud- Do not be Arrogant!
2. Think Positive, Think High!
3. Read as much as possible. Read variety.
4. Know the life of successful people. Go up to them and ask for details.
5. Stay focussed – Think yourself 10 years down!
6. Never say, “I cannot afford it”. Ask – “How can I afford it?”
7. Work hard, but enjoy the work. People may ask, “Why you work hard?” –Say, “Because I Can.”
8. Respect Money, but Do not chase or cling to it. Money Will chase you.
9. Be Somebody and then Speak. People will listen to you.
10. Respect People and their Ability – People will flock to you; Your work gets easier.
11. Keep some time to be Alone, think Alone.
12. Keep an Idea Diary.
13. Maintain cash flow of your Personal Life.
14. Anything which does not give return is A Liability. Build Asset.
15. From time to time Going to a Distance from daily work and life makes you Objective.
16. Enjoy Habits, but Do Not be a Slave to it. Make it your Slave.
17. Success comes from Healthy Brains – Healthy Body nurtures healthy brain.
18. Enjoy your Drink – But always with Company and when Grounded. Do not take drinks while flying.
19. Learn Stock market- Take risk. Even if you lose, you Learn.
20. Try, you may Win or Fail. No try, you Only Fail.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Simple things of joy in life..

Pedestrian dignity

If you had only a day to live?